Can You Be Allergic To Gold?

by Ultimate Jewelry Guide
Can You Be Allergic To Gold?

Many people get allergic reactions to pieces of jewelry. It is either they are having rashes, redness, and other allergic reactions that manifest on the skin where the jewelry had close contact. Treatment for jewelry allergy can be expensive. That is why it is important to understand how you get allergic to pieces of jewelry. One of the most pertinent allergies is gold allergy. This article will delve into the reason behind gold allergy and everything you need to know about gold allergy.

What Is A Gold Allergy?

Gold allergy is the allergic reaction you feel after wearing a piece of gold jewelry. But it does not mean that you are really allergic to gold. The truth is, you are allergic to the metal components of gold jewelry, such as nickel. The most pertinent skin reaction to the metal components of gold is skin dermatitis. It is the irritation and infection of the area where you have worn the jewelry. 

The common areas where skin dermatitis happens are in the ear lobes, neck, wrist, and finger. These areas are where bracelets, rings, earrings, and necklaces are worn. The allergic reaction of your skin can vary from acute dermatitis or red, blistered, and extremely itchy skin to chronic dermatitis or the thickening and pigmentation of the affected skin.

‚ÄčAre You Allergic to Nickel?

If you get irritated with gold jewelry, you are most likely allergic to nickel. Nickel allergy is the most pertinent skin reaction you can get when you wear gold jewelry for a long while. Your skin will get thick, red, and itchy. You must avoid scratching the area of the skin that has reacted to nickel. Scratching will make your skin condition worse. It is important to see a dermatologist immediately so that you can be prescribed appropriate medication and treatment.

If you are allergic to nickel, you will experience the symptoms of allergy within 3-24 hours. You may experience itching, redness, and drying of your skin. There are some instances that nickel allergy causes scales and breaks in your skin. When you feel any of these symptoms, see a dermatologist immediately. Avoid scratching and self-medication. It may worsen your nickel allergy. 

What Are The Symptoms Of Gold Allergy?

The nickel hidden in gold causes your allergy, and it is important to know the symptoms of allergy to avoid the worsening of your skin condition due to its reaction to metal. Here is the list of symptoms you may feel after hours of wearing gold jewelry.

  • Nickel and gold allergy might cause swelling. After hours of wearing the jewelry, you will notice that the skin where it has close contact will emboss, which implies abnormal growth or movement of skin tissues.
  • Nickel and gold allergy might cause rashes. These are areas of the skin with small dots that sometimes turn red. These dots can be itchy and painful.
  • Nickel and gold allergy might cause redness of the skin area that was exposed to the jewelry. This redness can be coupled with a little hotness in the area.
  • Itching is a very pertinent result of an allergy, but you should not scratch the area.
  • Nickel and gold allergy can also cause peeling of the skin. When the skin has been exposed to moisture or body fluids like sweat get in contact with the jewelry, the skin becomes scaly and peels.
  • The affected skin reacts to the metal, and it creates dark spots in the affected area.
  • Blistering can happen to the area of the skin affected by the allergy. It can be due to infection or friction when you scratch the area.

If you fail to see a dermatologist and have these symptoms treated, your skin condition might worsen. Your skin can become flaky, scaly, and darker.

How To Treat Gold Allergies?

If you feel irritated after wearing a piece of gold jewelry, you must not scratch it or do self-medication. It is important to ask for professional help and have your skin checked by a professional. Here are ways to treat gold allergy. There are two categories; you can treat it through home remedies and have it medicated.

Home Remedies

If you feel irritated because of a gold allergy and cannot immediately see a dermatologist, you can do home remedies as first aid.

  • You can use moisturizing lotion to avoid drying and itching.
  • You can also use antibacterial, soothing creams to aid possible infection and peeling of the affected skin area.
  • You can use a cold compress to ease the swelling and inflammation of the skin. Cold compresses also help to prevent blistering of the affected skin area.

Medications

After trying home remedies as first aid to the allergic reaction and irritation of your skin, it is very important to let a dermatologist check your skin. In that way, you will be given appropriate treatment methods and medications. Here is the usually recommended medication for skin irritation due to gold or nickel allergy.

  • You can use Costecosteroid Creams, such as Clobetasol and Diprolene or betamethasone dipropionate to ease the itching and swelling of the affected area. 
  • You can apply non-steroidal creams, such as Protopic or tacrolimus. These kinds of creams will sting your skin at first applied but will treat inflammation and itching.
  • You can use oral medication as first aid but not for treatment purposes. You can intake Oral Corticosteroid or Oral antihistamines to relieve itching, swelling, and inflammation of the skin.

Best Type Of Jewelry To Wear If You Are Allergic To Gold

If you experience an allergic reaction to gold and nickel, it cannot hinder you from wearing pieces of jewelry to dress up and style yourself. You can buy hypoallergenic and nickel-free jewelry. These kinds of jewelry do not irritate the skin and are appropriate for people who have sensitive skin. 

Hypoallergenic pieces of jewelry do not tarnish even when it is exposed to body fluids, such as sweat. It is safe to wear even on a daily basis. Most hypoallergenic pieces of jewelry contain gold, silver, platinum, and stainless steel. 

Conclusion

To conclude, you will not know that you have a gold allergy unless you feel irritation after wearing gold jewelry. Remember that this irritation can be treated as long as you do not do careless and uninformed medication. You have to see a dermatologist to understand why you got irritated and know how to treat your skin allergy appropriately. This instance is not a hindrance to wearing jewelry. There are hypoallergenic pieces of jewelry that you can still wear without your skin getting itchy, swollen, or cracking. 

You may also like

Leave a Comment