Diamonds are among the most precious stones on earth. This makes them special and valuable. Traditionally, diamonds were considered the perfect gift when asking for a hand in marriage. This signified love and commitment. However, as time passed by this changed and it was regarded as a regular ornament.
This precious stone can be crafted into many appealing designs and shapes. One of the famous types is the Pie cut diamond.
- What Are Pie Cut Diamonds?
- The History Of Pie Cut Diamonds
- What Are The Characteristics Of A Pie Cut Diamond?
- The Different Pie Cut Diamond Settings
- What To Look For When Purchasing A Pie Cut Diamond
- The Pros and Cons Of A Pie Cut Diamond
- Where Should You Purchase A Pie Cut Diamond?
What Are Pie Cut Diamonds?
A pie cut diamond is a type of diamond with an impressive imitation of a solitaire. It’s made from smaller fancy cut diamonds that are carefully polished together to imitate the shape and sparkle of larger gemstones. The pie cut diamond has some smaller fancy cut diamonds that are carefully cut and matched to shape together. This creates an illusion of a larger diamond.
Additionally, it has an elongated shape and sloping sides, which is what makes them unique from the round brilliant cut. Pie-Cut Diamonds are perfect for those who want more than one color in their diamond or who prefer to wear it closer to their finger than at the end of a pendant.
The History Of Pie Cut Diamonds
In the mid-18th century, a King in France; King Louis XV of France commissioned his court jeweler to create a diamond cut that specifically reflected the shape of Madame de Pompadour’s mouth. The king was so infatuated with his mistress that he ordered a diamond cut to reflect the shape of her mouth. This was where the name “Pie cut” diamond originated from.
Over time, jewelers from other parts of Europe reproduced the Pie-Cut Diamond and it became a popular shape. However, the pie cut diamond is new to most people who are just learning about diamonds. This type of design can be found in any style or setting you want. Whether an engagement ring, necklace pendant, or earrings – a pie cut diamond will give you the most bangs for your buck.
What Are The Characteristics Of A Pie Cut Diamond?
Pie cut diamonds come in various cuts, colors, and shapes. However, they have a few distinct characteristics that set them apart from other diamond types.
- It has an impressive imitation of a solitaire
- They are usually elongated with sloping sides to give the illusion of dimensionality.
- They can be any color or shape you want – it is up to your imagination and taste! Pie cut diamonds are perfect for those who want more than one color in their diamond or who prefer to wear it closer to their finger than at the end of a pendant.
- Pie cut diamonds can be used in any style engagement ring, necklace pendants, and earrings. It all depends on you.
- Pie cut diamond has facets on the sides of its shape
- It is not a traditional diamond cut but can be found in any style or setting.
- The brilliance of the pie cut diamond is unparalleled.
- A diamond with pie cut weights on the top which is what gives it its brilliance
- Pie cut diamond generally has a low carat weight, meaning you can get more for your money. This also allows you to have two different colors in one stone, which was not possible before.
- The size of a pie cut diamond is determined by the number of diamonds it has.
- The pie cut has a depth of about 0.25 millimeters and a height of 0.25 millimeters
The Different Pie Cut Diamond Settings
Pie cut diamonds come in many settings. It can be worn as an engagement ring, necklace pendant, or earrings. The cut of the diamond is based on its shape and style. Some of them include:
Round Shape Setting
The round shape setting allows for a diamond to be set on top of another diamond. It gives the illusion that there is one bigger, brighter diamond in comparison with many small ones around it.
There are two major techniques applied in the Round Shape Setting:
- The first one involves using four pieces of the same color to create a round-shaped diamond. It is best for those who want both colors in their ring.
- The second technique involves using nine pieces of different colors to create an elongated, round shape that also gives off the illusion of being just one bigger diamond as opposed to many small ones.
This type of setting is perfect for those who want a larger and bolder diamond. It has an elongated shape with one pointed end that resembles the letter “e” or “v”.
The height, length, and width all vary in measurements which makes this engagement ring stand out from others because it does not have any symmetrical shapes.
The prong setting is the most common type of diamond cut. It consists of four metal points that hold and support a stone in place to keep it from falling out or being stolen. It is best for those who want their ring to have more than one color, such as blue sapphire engagement rings with white diamonds accents.
This type of setting is perfect for those who want a diamond to look like it’s just encased in metal. It has two parts: A bezel and a stone. The bezel surrounds the stone to protect it from falling out or being stolen while also giving off an illusion that there are no stones at all as opposed to many small.
This type of setting is perfect for those who want a diamond to sit on top of another. It has an oval shape that can be set horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.
There are two major techniques applied in the Cushion Setting:
- The first one involves setting a diamond on top of another. This style is best for those who want both colors in their ring or engagement rings with white diamonds accents and blue sapphire side stones.
- The second technique involves using four pieces of different colored metal to create an elongated oval shape that also gives off the illusion of being one bigger diamond as opposed to many small ones.
What To Look For When Purchasing A Pie Cut Diamond
This is the most important factor in determining a diamond’s quality. The cut should be symmetrical with no bulges or flat spots on either side of the stone.
The carat weight is the size of your diamond. The heavier it is, the more expensive it will be but this doesn’t necessarily reflect on the quality of the diamond.
The most common shapes are round marquise and pear-shaped diamonds. However, you can make your own choice when shopping for one in a jewelry store.
The setting is how you want to wear it. It can be set as a pendant or on top of another stone in a ring for example. Many types depend on personal preference.
The Pros and Cons Of A Pie Cut Diamond
This section will lay out all the pros and cons of pie cut diamonds, so you know what to expect:
- A great alternative for those who want to wear more than one color at the same time. It also gives off the illusion of being just one bigger diamond as opposed to many small ones and can be worn in any setting, which makes it versatile.
- Bigger which makes them efficient for those who prefer larger diamond rings.
- Relatively cheaper compared to other diamonds.
- Offer flexibility. They can be customized by your jeweler to suit your needs.
- Cracks or imperfections are not as visible in this diamond. This is because of several attachments made to them when being designed.
- Difficult to find a replacement in case a piece gets lost.
- Lower resale value compared to a single piece. This is because of its quality.
Should You Buy A Pie-Cut Diamond?
Pie cut diamonds are perfect for those who want to show off a larger and bolder diamond. They also make great engagement rings because they do not have any symmetrical shapes which can be difficult in some settings. For these reasons, one should buy a pie cut diamond if they find it attractive too without worrying about the cons.
Where Should You Purchase A Pie Cut Diamond?
Pie cut diamonds are available at diamond stores and online. You can find many options on the internet by doing a simple search. There are many online jewelry stores with easy-to-use websites with a customer service option in case of any questions.
However, it is best to purchase them from a reputable store with guarantees just in case there’s any faulty work done. You should also make sure that the jeweler has enough experience when dealing with pie cuts because they have different requirements.
There are also many stores in your local area with this type of diamond for sale if you’re looking to go that route.
Pie cut diamonds are a great alternative for those who want to wear more than one color at the same time. They can be worn in any setting, which makes them versatile and they’re relatively cheaper when it comes to price. They are slightly cheaper making them easily affordable to people with a lower budget.